Hi, I’m Susie.
I’m a Clinical Nutritionist, Registered Yoga & Meditation Teacher and Mind-Body connection specialist with an entrepreneurial spirit, and I’m here for you. I spend my days passionately exploring the world of food, nutrition and the psychology of eating. And I’m putting together everything I’m learning. On this site. For you.
I am also passionate about the powerful connection between the Mind and the Body and how this influences physical and mental health. This passion has fired me up to increase my expertise in many forms of meditation and I continue to increase my knowledge every day. I’ve learned that when the body is nourished and the mind is focussed and calm, anything is possible. And this is something everyone can have in their life – including you. If you want it. Head This Way was inspired by my personal journey from corporate burnout survivor to Natural Health Practitioner and Mind-Body connection specialist. This journey has lead to a life that makes complete sense to me now. A life where I help someone like you to improve your health through delicious food, nourishing movement of the body and calming of the mind. This journey is a work in progress for all of us, and we are at the beginning…
12 Surprising Things About Me
- In my first career I was a Registered Nurse (Operating Theatre) and yes, I can say “well, it’s not brain surgery, is it?” with a high degree of credibility.
- I’m a qualified PADI SCUBA Diving Instructor (Retired now).
- I worked as an Occupational Health Nurse in a chicken factory (yes, really).
- I’ve been a Pharmaceutical Sales Representative.
- I’ve held State, Regional and National Sales Manager positions within several multinational organisations.
- I’m a mama to two beautiful, rescue furbabies, Lily (14yo) and Charlie (3yo) and they are just the best of best friends you’ve ever seen.
- I hold a Masters degree in Health Science.
- I went to Iran for a holiday, and it was the friendliest place I’ve ever been (and I’ve travelled extensively).
- I’ve had a Swami on my bed. No, not like THAT! To read my Chakras of course!
- I’ve NEVER been a cook up until I discovered vegetarian food. All of my friends think it’s hilarious and bizarre that this is now what I’m doing with my life. My husband has always been the cook in the household and I’ve been a cake baker and dessert maker. Funny how you can discover a hidden passion.
- It took me 17 years of practice to think I was experienced enough to be a yoga teacher, and now I feel like a rookie all over again, as I now realise how much MORE there is to learn!
- Teaching yoga in Bali helped me find my dharma (life purpose).
Susie Garden has had a varied career but always with one thing in common – health and caring for people. She started off her career as a Registered Nurse and from there has held numerous healthcare related roles in the hospital, industrial and corporate sectors. She’s survived two redundancies and corporate burnout and is currently absolutely committed to building a successful Health and Wellness business to share the knowledge she’s developed over many years. Having worked in the ‘sickness’ model where illness is treated once it presents, she is convinced that the ‘wellness’ model is the most sustainable option moving forward. Preventing disease in our bodies with nutritious food, functional movement and connecting the body and mind, allows us to lead longer and happier lives. Susie is now a regular contributor to One Green Planet and her work has been featured on fitandhealthytravel.com, Silent Earth and Kylie Pax’s Ditch the Diet Bootcamp. Susie holds numerous pieces of paper, including:
- Advanced Diploma in Nutritional Medicine
- Master of Health Science
- Bachelor of Nursing
- Yoga Australia Registered Yoga Teacher (350 hours)
- Yin Yoga Teacher Certification (115 hours) – with Joe Barnett and Jo Phee
- Level 1 and Level 2 Lizzie Lasater Restorative Yoga Teacher Training (certification in progress)
- Completed iRest Level 2 Teacher Training
- Meditation Australia Registered Meditation Teacher – 200Hour Qualified
- Personal Development
- Spiritual Development
- Currently studying a Bachelor of Health Science (Naturopathy)
- Current student of Shiva Rea in the Prana Vinyasa 300 hour program
- Numerous coaching and people management courses